7/21/11

Foundations





Probably no other item of makeup is as important as foundation.  When properly applied, it provides a base for color, evens out skin, conceals minor imperfections, sometimes, to change the natural skintone and believe it or not, it protects the skin from soil, wind, and the weather.   Foundation applied to the body is generally referred to as body paint.  Every skin type requires a different type of foundation, either being cream, liquid, cake foundation, stick foundation, gel, water based, or powdered.  In a span of 12 years I have tried almost everything under the sun from cheap wet n wild to Maybelline and more expensive brands like Makeup Forever, MAC, Clinique, etc.  This is a list of the ones I’ve liked the best on myself and different people.

Face and Body Foundation
My favorite from the bunch is MAC’s Face and Body.  On the Mac site it’s described as water based foundation that provides natural coverage for face and body. Although not for everyone since it gives you a more dewy “wet” look which some people will describe as greasy.  I really like this product for me, people with good skin and for mature women. It’s feels very light on the skin and it looks very natural.  Doesn’t feel like a mask. It provides light coverage but buildable to medium.  Not great for people who suffer from acne, as it won’t cover them as great.  For more coverage I let it air dry for a minute and then I apply a second coat. Let it air dry for another minute and then set it with face powder.

Studio Sculpt SPF 15 Foundation
I also have studio sculpt for skin that has more imperfections.  It’s a creamy, gel based foundation with medium to high coverage.  Personally, I like it a lot on those days my skin is less than perfect, because it will cover EVERYTHING!  It just doesn’t give me that natural “no makeup” look I love so much.  I find that a thin layer of this is better then a thicker layer.  It will look cakey if not blended well but that’s the purpose of thicker foundations right? 

Pro Longwear Foundation SPF 10 Foundation
Simply a product that I wanted to love, but it failed in a few ways.  It claims it will last all day and since I loved the concealer so much and had high hopes for this foundation.  It didn’t do me justice at all and made me look very cakey mid day.  It wasn’t as sheer as MAC makes it sound.  It’s not horrible if you use it right but It’s not my favorite.

Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15  Foundation
Easy to blend.  This had nice light-medium buildable coverage. It’s not too liquidy and when applied in light layers it can be built up without caking.  It lasts for hours.  Personally, if you want something almost identical to this and for the fraction of the price, get the Revlon Colorstay Foundation.

Studio Fix Powder plus Foundation
I was amazed everything was covered while looking very natural.   It gives the skin a very smooth and matte look. Although it may look a little chalky or powdery at first, once the powder sinks in with your face oils it looks amazing.  If you don’t want to wait, just spray it with some water.  I like this for more sensitive skin and for oily skin.
  
  
Cover Girl Clean Foundation
This is my ultimate, inexpensive favorite foundation.  It makes your skin look dewy, has light to medium coverage, and it’s great for sensitive skin. It does an awesome job at keeping the skin matte, and I have yet to see it move or crease anywhere on me. It doesn’t oxidize(turn orange) on my face.  This is always my go to foundation. LOVE LOVE LOVE.  I 100% recommend this for everyone.  Young, Mature, Imperfections, anyone!  They have changed the formulation which I still haven’t tried, hopefully nothing changed.  If it did then I recommend the Maybelline Mineral Foundation.
  
Maybelline Mineral Foundation
Another foundation I have a growing love affair with.  It’s not for everybody as it does leave you with a dewy complexion (pictured below).  Goes on smooth and beautiful, and doesn’t settle into my pores and it makes skin glow. Takes seconds to blend everything out. the coverage i would day light/medium.  As you can see in the pictures below, this foundation makes the skin look amazing!  I totally love it and 100% recommend it.
 I take that back...i think it was discontinued :( 


Revlon Colorstay Foundation
This is very comparable to the MAC Select Fluid Foundation.  Packaging is almost the same, the coverage is the same.  Revlon lasts longer and I find it easier to blend. I have to say Mac will give you more coverage and matte look. Colorstay for being half the price of MAC is a pretty decent foundation. That said, after a while it does dry a little and makes you look a little cakey. I could tell there are a few or several irritating ingredients, so sensitive skin and acne prone, be careful.  This foundation isn’t my favorite but it’s pretty decent if you want something long lasting.
 
Using Revlon Colorstay

No comments:

Post a Comment